You know the feeling: your pants feel a bit tight and your belly feels a little too full. The holiday season can throw our whole system out of balance but you can get it back to normal with a few simple changes.
Bloating is usually caused by excessive gas and/or imbalanced intestinal contractions. Bloating causes pain, discomfort and may increase the size of your belly.
Women usually experience more bloating than men, mainly around the time of menstruation. We have to understand what is causing the bloating in order to prevent it from reoccurring.
Bloating is NOT a normal condition and we should NOT be experiencing it on a regular basis. If we are, it may be our body trying to tell us it needs a change.
What Causes Bloating:
– Not thoroughly chewing food
– Chewing gum
– Gut sensitivity
– Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth
5 Simple Ways To Get Rid of Bloating:
1. Chew your food thoroughly and slowly.
2. Avoid constipation by increasing your soluble fibre intake. An apple first thing in the morning adds fibre.
3. Drink more fluids, just not carbonated beverages. Drink water and herbal teas and hydrate in the morning.
4. Move more. Aim for 150 minutes of moderate activity per day. Add yoga poses that include twisting movements to stimulates digestion.
5. Be wary of sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols are commonly found in sugar substitutes such as mannitol, sorbitol and xylitol, all of which may cause digestive issues, such as bloating. Check labels on chewing gum and “sugar-free” foods.
Ginger is a great way to calm an upset stomach and/or bloating issues. Make a tea by boiling 2 teaspoons ginger in water and let sit for 15 minutes before drinking.
In most cases, bloating can be prevented by simple lifestyle changes. Hope these help you.